There’s something so satisfying a few motorbike that matches like a well-worn glove, and that’s how the 2022 Honda CB500F matches up with my five-foot six-inch 115-pound physique. It follows my actions effortlessly, by no means getting in the best way of what I need to do or overwhelming me with its weight or energy. Because the bare bike in Honda’s mid-size lineup of 500 twins, the CB500F is most in its component as an city motorbike, dealing with commuting duties and around-town errands, whereas capably serving as a weekend sportbike within the canyons.Launched in 2013 and up to date each three years, the CB500F receives a number of useful enhancements for 2022. The well-tweaked bike now has an inverted Showa SFF-BP fork, twin disc brakes up entrance, and has shed a number of kilos. Already an approachable, easy-to-ride bike, these refinements additional hone the CB500F as among the finest go-to bikes for a large swath of riders.
- The CB500F has twin 296mm rotors upfront for 2022. Gone is the one 310mm disc and axial-mount caliper. They’re changed with smaller twin discs grasped by radially mounted four-piston Nissin calipers. Braking is linear and rewarding. There was by no means a time after I felt a insecurity within the brakes; the more durable I squeezed the five-position adjustable lever, the faster I slowed down. This permits an aggressive rider to extract the utmost efficiency out of the wise 500F, whereas by no means catching a novice rider without warning with a harsh preliminary chunk. When using extra leisurely, the engine compression braking is usually sufficient to gradual you down. There’s a 240mm disc within the rear for finessing stops round city or aiding arduous braking within the canyons. I’m a rear brake fan, and the texture on the pedal is spot-on. ABS is commonplace, non-intrusive, and at all times welcome.
- An inverted Showa SFF-BP fork seems on the 2022 Honda CB500F. Upgrading the standard 41mm fork to Showa’s Separate Operate Fork – Massive Piston design provides the CB500F a firmer entrance finish. There’s a spring in a single tube and damping within the different, saving weight. No changes can be found on the fork—to not fear, the motion is well-dialed as-is. Plus, there’s loads of suggestions for the aggressive riders amongst you. The linkage-assisted shock is adjustable for spring preload must you take a passenger.
- Dropping 4 kilos from its curb weight, the CB500F weighs in at 416 kilos for 2022. Whereas that also outweighs me 3.5x occasions over, it doesn’t really feel like a handful. Even at parking-lot speeds—the place you most really feel a bike’s weight—the 500F is straightforward to maneuver. It’s 16 kilos lighter than the carefully associated faired CBR500R, and weighs 23 kilos lower than the CB500X journey iteration. Coupled with the low seat top, it feels even lighter. These are pluses for much less skilled riders, making the 500F that rather more of a blast for the seasoned rider. Weight financial savings got here from tweaks to the swingarm, radiator, and lighter wheels.
- Energy supply is easy, supportive, and many sufficient for the job at hand. Sure, it’s important to twist the throttle arduous and shift shortly if you wish to entry the total vary of the liquid-cooled 471cc parallel twin’s potential, however the upside is that the CB500F isn’t intimidating. The motor is pleasant and predictable, making it a superb selection for newbies or riders shifting up.
- Ergonomics are welcoming and reassuring, particularly for newer riders. When using hasn’t but change into second nature, the safety of having the ability to get your ft flat on the bottom is big. At simply over 31 inches, the CB500F’s seat will make many riders smile. The compact chassis places hand and foot controls inside straightforward attain, and the seated-in using place creates a safe feeling of being at one with the bike.
- Smart Michelin Highway 5 tires nonetheless permit for enthusiastic weekend using. The all-purpose rubber from Michelin is a sport-touring tire designed to offer excessive mileage whereas working for sport using and moist circumstances. Whereas one would possibly anticipate a jack of all trades to be a bit ho-hum, I used to be impressed with the Highway 5’s inspiring athleticism. I scraped pegs whereas sprinting by way of corners on Mulholland Drive, a positive signal of confidence within the grip and the added rigidity of the brand new fork. Additionally notable is how properly the Highway 5s deal with freeway rain grooves—nary a wander or head shake.
- With a 4.5-gallon tank and a fuel-efficient motor, the 2022 Honda CB500F doesn’t bust your funds, even when the worth of gasoline is hovering. When the nook filling station’s posted worth went to just about $7/gallon a number of weeks in the past, I used to be blissful to do 100% of my ‘driving’ aboard the thrifty CB500F. In accordance with the LCD sprint, which stories gas consumption, I often averaged 60+ mpg even with some aggressive canyon runs and high-speed freeway journeys thrown within the combine. It’s virtually unimaginable to get lower than 200 miles from a tank.
- Commuters will recognize the slip and help clutch, together with the simple maneuverability of the CB500F. Scooting between lanes of visitors is likely one of the perks of two-wheeled transportation in civilized states. The 500F’s slender physique and light-weight clutch pull cut back fatigue and distraction, retaining your concentrate on fluctuating circumstances.
- A birthday swimsuit is all a bike wants round city. There’s no cause to cover behind a windscreen when dodging visitors on metropolis streets or cruising down the boulevard. The 500F’s unadorned attractiveness don’t must be obscured with further plastic distracting from the fundamental using expertise. Nevertheless, must you hop on the freeway and spin the rate as much as 75 mph for various exits, you’ll miss the wind safety tremendously. Each mph over 70 requires an incrementally tighter grip on the handlebars. In case your commute contains high-speed freeway stretches, you’ll be extra comfy on the CB500X.
- Black (err, Matte Grey Metallic) goes with the whole lot. It doesn’t matter what colours your helmet and using gear are, they’ll look nice in opposition to the understated pigment of the 2022 Honda CB500F. Honda’s formal identify for this yr’s paint scheme is Matte Grey Metallic, but it surely reads as black to me. The bronze valve cowl and engine instances are accents that, together with the gold fork legs, give the 500F a refined look. Oddly, the CB500F isn’t a part of Honda’s Neo-Sports activities Café lineup, and I’m unsure why, because it suits proper in—particularly with the identically styled CB650R.
- As a check rider for over 20 years, I’m comfy dealing with a lot bigger bikes in varied genres, and I recognize plentiful horsepower. But the quantity of consolation and enjoyable that may be had on a extra modest mount is price remembering. After dealing with weekday commuting chores, the 2022 CB500F is the proper sidekick for a weekend dash throughout Angeles Crest Freeway for an au jus tri-tip sandwich at Wrightwood’s Grizzly Cafe, or for kicking across the Southland on a sizzling summer time night, with a cease on the Cuban/Caribbean/Mexican mash-up La Bamba in Burbank for its carne asada grilled cheese sandwich.
- When a bike can simply entertain skilled riders whereas additionally being a wise first-bike selection, the engineers did one thing very proper. In nowadays of excessive inflation, the 2022 Honda CB500F delivers a rewarding expertise throughout a broad vary of makes use of for $6699.
Pictures by Don WilliamsRIDING STYLE2022 Honda CB500F ABS SpecsENGINE
- Sort: Parallel twin
- Displacement: 471cc
- Bore x stroke: 67.0 x 66.8mm
- Compression ratio: 10.7:1
- Fueling: EFI w/ 34mm throttle our bodies
- Valvetrain: DOHC; 4vpc
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Clutch: Moist multiplate w/ help and slipper capabilities
- Last drive: O-ring chain
- Entrance suspension; journey: Non-adjustable Showa SFF-BP 41mm inverted fork; 4.3 inches
- Rear suspension: Linkage-assisted, spring-preload adjustable shock; 4.7 inches
- Wheels: 5-spoke aluminum
- Entrance tire: 120/70 x 17
- Rear tire: 160/60 x 17
- Entrance brakes: 296mm discs w/ 4-piston radially mounted Nissin calipers
- Rear brake: 240mm disc w/ single-piston caliper
- ABS: Commonplace
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- Wheelbase: 55.5 inches
- Rake: 25.5 levels
- Path: 4.0 inches
- Seat top: 31.1 inches
- Gasoline capability: 4.5 gallons
- Curb weight: 416 kilos
- Colours: Matte Grey Metallic
2022 Honda CB500F ABS Value: $6699 MSRP
2022 Honda CB500F Evaluate Photograph Gallery