When BMW launched the BMW R 18 cruiser, the German model hinted that extra variations would arrive sooner somewhat than later. It took only a yr for the R 18 household to develop to 4 members—three of them outfitted with luggage and able to go touring. The flagship mannequin is the 2022 BMW R 18 Transcontinental totally dressed tourer. We placed on our Sunday greatest and went on some lengthy rides, although we didn’t fairly go coast-to-coast but.
- BMW didn’t take many shortcuts when turning the usual R 18’s chassis into the Transcontinental. The R 18 Transcontinental is greater than an R 18 with a fairing, luggage, and a prime case. BMW gave the Transcon a brand new body and a 19-inch entrance wheel, giving the dresser 28.3 levels of rake and a stability-enhancing 7.2 inches of path. To maintain the Transcontinental from turning into too cumbersome to journey in something however a straight line, the wheelbase was tightened up by 1.5 inches to 68.2 inches. The brand new body additionally allowed for a brand new fuel tank that holds a rangy 6.3 gallons—a rise of over two gallons in comparison with the urban-friendly R 18. The Large Boxer motor is unchanged, although it does get a much less flamboyant muffler.
- Within the transformation of the R 18 into the Transcontinental, the platform good points 181 kilos—and that’s earlier than you add cargo and a passenger. The Large Boxer’s 116 ft/lbs of torque at 3000 rpm make quick work of the additional poundage, although the modest 91-horsepower peak at 4750 rpm means the motor runs out of puff at excessive speeds.
- Beginning up the Large Boxer requires your consideration. When these 901cc combustion chambers hearth up and the gearbox is in impartial, it throws the R 18 to the aspect demonstratively. I haven’t tried it as a result of I don’t wish to drop it, however if you happen to pushed the beginning button and didn’t have your arms on the grips, you may discover the motorbike and also you on the bottom—particularly in case your focus is elsewhere. Nonetheless, if you’re prepared for it, it’s an exhilarating expertise.
- The R 18 motor has three modes, but it surely wants solely two of them. As with the opposite R 18s, you get the focus-group titled Rock, Roll, and Rain modes. Nonetheless, the R 18 Transcontinental is not any hotrod, and the Rock mode doesn’t rock a lot tougher than a Gayle playlist. While you again it all the way down to Roll, the motor begins to really feel lazy, and there’s a rise within the intervention of varied traction management features. Rain mode behaves as you’d anticipate, and also you need the whole lot padded down if the pavement is moist.
- The 2022 BMW R 18 Transcontinental’s Large Boxer shouldn’t be joyful at speeds we favor for long-distance touring. After we could make time on lengthy, empty highways, we ramp up the speed. When you hit 80 mph on the Transcon, the Large Boxer begins intruding on the enjoyable. Vibration invades the grips and floorboards, spreading to the seat at 85 mph. When you can journey for a couple of minutes at these speeds—BMW says the Transcon’s prime velocity totally loaded is 99 mph—you gained’t wish to spend a lot time going that quick. Beneath 80 mph, the vibe of the horizontally opposed twin is nice, so you’ll be able to ignore this Quick Truth if excessive speeds aren’t in your to-do record.
- The fairing affords adjustable wind safety. There are a few two-position wind deflectors beneath the fairing edge on both aspect, and so they make an enormous distinction at velocity. Within the open place, they’re nice round city or at informal freeway speeds, including some pleasing airflow. Nonetheless, at about 60 mph, the wind sweeps up from beneath and causes turbulence behind the fairing, and air rushes up into your full-face helmet at an uncomfortable price. There’s a repair—transfer the wings to the deflecting place. It makes an enormous distinction in airflow, utterly calming issues down within the cockpit. They’re simply adjustable by hand, and skilled riders can flick them backwards and forwards whereas using.
- The windscreen peak is fastened. At 5-foot 10-inches, I’ve to take a seat bolt upright to see over the display, and it’s all the time prominently in my subject of view. On lengthy rides, I can get a bit slouchy, and searching by way of the windscreen alerts me to that. Fortuitously, if you happen to don’t just like the windscreen’s peak, BMW has numerous display choices.
- Backroads are the pure habitat of the Transcontinental. With its 941 kilos carried low, dealing with is kind of good. The small floorboards don’t contact down inordinately early, so you’ll be able to journey it as you’ll a totally dressed cruiser-based tourer. The leverage of the large, excessive handlebar makes using the R 18 Transcontinental a low-effort proposition as soon as underway.
- Flip-in with the 19-inch wheel is pure. The 120mm Bridgestone Battlecruise H50 places loads of rubber on the street for assured turning. It’s inconceivable that you simply’ll mild up the rear tire, and there may be greater than sufficient edge grip for the cornering clearance offered.
- The suspension knocks off the tough edges with out being imprecise. Dealing with a half-ton of bike in movement is a thankless job, but the 4.7 inches of journey at each ends get the mission achieved. There are not any damping changes, and the shock’s spring preload is robotically set. The Transcontinental’s shock is longer-travel than the usual R 18, which supplies it extra cornering clearance whereas it does a superior job of minimizing street irregularities.
- You’ll be able to’t go touring with out being snug, and the Transcontinental is a cush journey. The ergonomics really feel considerably odd at first if you happen to’re not accustomed to excessive bars. Nonetheless, as soon as you compromise in, all of it works. The cupped seat affords some decrease again assist that helps on longer stints within the saddle, with simply the fitting foam density. BMW affords each a taller and shorter seat, for individuals who wish to change the rider triangle and distance to the pavement.
- The problem of legroom on a boxer won’t ever be settled. V-twin adherents will bemoan the 2 jugs jutting from the circumstances, which stop you from stretching out with out tapping into your interior contortionist. Everybody’s completely different, and I discovered the motion obtainable on the abbreviated floorboards to be ample to maintain my joints joyful, although mine are in fairly good situation—your physique’s mileage might fluctuate. Sometimes, I’ll put my leg out and maintain it there for just a few seconds, which does the trick for me. BMW affords freeway peg choices if you happen to don’t thoughts placing your boots even nearer to the valve covers.
- With floorboards comes heel/toe shifting. BMW desires you to loosen up on the Transcon, and that features slowing down the shifting course of. Though downshifts are simple, the heel-actuated upshifts require a really deliberate motion of your foot—this isn’t a setup for somebody with a restricted vary of movement within the ankle. Relying on the dimensions and form of your boot, you’ll be able to upshift by nudging the entrance lever. Nonetheless, it’s not as positive because the heel shifting, so we caught with the heel. Fortuitously, the R 18’s transmission is clean, and we by no means missed a shift in both route.
- The Transcontinental is light on the brakes and clutch. Engagement could be very smooth for the entrance and rear brakes, whereas the clutch engages easily over a great vary, making the Transcon nice to journey. The entrance brakes ramp up progressively, whereas the considerably awkward rear brake pedal by no means feels as sturdy as you’ll anticipate. These big grasp cylinders on the handlebar make the clutch and hand brake low-effort for an engine with plentiful torque.
- When it comes time for that lengthy journey, there’s a reasonable quantity of storage. The aspect luggage can tackle 27 liters every, whereas the highest field has a capability of 48 liters, although you’ll be able to solely match one helmet in at a time—okay, perhaps two half-helmets. The three circumstances latch and lock securely, with distant locking an choice.
- Our take a look at 2022 BMW R 18 Transcontinental had two Packages put in—Premium and Choose. Premium provides $3225 to the Transcontinental’s $24,995 MSRP, and Choose tacks on one other $950. Add in $500 for the Manhattan Metallic Matte paint, and our take a look at bike’s MSRP is $29,670.
- The Premium Package deal has one important function, together with some worth-having goodies. You get Reverse Help, which could be a huge deal if you’re compelled to park with the nostril downhill. Radar-enhanced lively cruise management is a pleasant contact, although not one thing we regularly depend on. We do like hill begin help, and BMW integrates it successfully. The Premium Package deal upgrades the headlights—DLRs and cornering-aware lighting—which is useful if you happen to journey after darkish. We weren’t impressed with the Marshall Gold Sequence 2 six-speaker audio system. It doesn’t sound good when turned up. As a result of the bar-mounted grasp cylinders sit proper in entrance of the fairing audio system, this function doesn’t give the sensation of being thoughtfully built-in. Whether or not that is all value $3225 is as much as you.
- The Choose Package deal focuses on safety. You get a central locking system and locking fuel cap, plus an alarm system. Seemingly misplaced, but welcome, is the tire strain monitoring system—a worthwhile security function.
- Serving to the rider handle all of the 2022 BMW R Transcontinental’s options is a shocking widescreen 10.25-inch TFT show and 4 spherical analog-style dials. An array of buttons on the left, plus BMW’s proprietary Multi-Controller dial, make the daunting job of navigating by way of the screens and choices moderately intuitive. The power to observe the Transcon’s methods is spectacular. Working navigation and private audio requires pairing your smartphone to the bike through Bluetooth. Conveniently, there’s a compartment on the tank in your cellphone with a USB-C energy port.
- The far-right analog clock has the oddest job in motorcycling—monitoring the motor energy output, so you know the way a lot you may have in reserve. Somebody must persuade me that the Energy Reserve indicator is something apart from a gimmick. In keeping with the Transcon’s proprietor’s handbook, “The facility reserve indicator helps the rider estimate acceleration functionality or proceed with gear choice to the very best impact, for instance when using on mountain roads.” When you’re counting on that to make crucial selections, you in all probability want extra seat time.
- BMW places the 2022 BMW R 18 Transcontinental in its Heritage vary, somewhat than together with it in its Tour lineup. That’s telling. When you’re critical about long-distance touring on a BMW, look to the Okay 1600 line and the R 1250 RT. Regardless of its identify, the Transcontinental is extra about lower-speed regional touring, the place type and luxury are your priorities.
Notice: Motion images by Kevin Wing are of the First Version, which was a part of this prolonged take a look at of the R 18 Transcontinental Static images by Don WilliamsRIDING STYLE2022 BMW R 18 Transcontinental SpecsENGINE
- Kind: Opposed twin
- Displacement: 1802cc
- Bore x stroke: 107.1 x 100mm
- Most energy: 91 horsepower @ 4750 rpm
- Most torque: 116 ft-lbs @ 3000 rpm
- Most velocity: 111 mph (99 mph totally loaded)
- Compression ratio: 9.6:1
- Valvetrain: Pushrod-actuated OHV w/ two camshafts; 4 vpc
- Cooling: Air and oil
- Transmission: 6-speed (w/ optionally available reverse)
- Clutch: Single-disc dry w/ slipper perform
- Last drive: Shaft
- Body: Metal-tube double-loop
- Entrance suspension; journey: Non-adjustable 49mm fork; 4.7 inches
- Rear suspension; journey: Cantilevered spring-preload adjustable shock; 4.7 inches
- Wheels: Forged aluminum
- Entrance wheel: 19 x 3.5
- Rear wheel: 16 x 5.0
- Tires: Bridgestone Battlecruise H50
- Entrance tire: 120/70 x 19
- Rear tire: 180/65 x 16
- Entrance brake: 300mm discs w/ 4-piston calipers
- Rear brake: 300mm disc w/ 4-piston caliper
- ABS: BMW Motorrad Full Integral
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- Wheelbase: 66.7 inches
- Rake: 27.3 levels
- Path: 7.2 inches
- Seat peak: 29.1 inches
- Gasoline capability: 6.3 gallons
- Curb weight: 941 kilos
- Black Storm Metallic
- Manhattan Metallic Matte (+$500)
- Choice 719 Galaxy Mud Metallic/Titanium Silver 2 Metallic (+$2400)
- First Version (included in First Version Package deal)
2022 BMW R 18 Transcontinental Base Value: $24,995 MSRPAs examined w/ Choose ($950) and Premium ($3225) Packages, plus Manhattan Metallic Matte paint ($500): $29,670 MSRP
2022 BMW R 18 Transcontinental Evaluate Picture Gallery