From time to time, a mannequin rolls off the manufacturing line that represents two-wheeled want success, which on this case is the 2022 Harley-Davidson Low Rider S. Launched in 2016 with a moody black and gold visage, the Low Rider S’ journey started with the Dyna household, moved to the trendy single-shock Softail platform and, for model-year 2022, FXLRS followers are getting their want—further shock journey and efficiency.The third-generation Low Rider S furthers its performance-cruiser mission with an up to date shock that improves the driving expertise and capabilities. On the similar time, extra punch is felt by way of the Milwaukee-Eight 117 mill. That’s not all, because it additionally struts out of the manufacturing facility with a smattering of practical styling touchups.These modifications don’t go unnoticed whereas darting by means of the city sprawl or having fun with the scenic routes, and for extra on that, we’ll get on with the Quick Information.
- The 2022 Harley-Davidson Low Rider S feels downright athletic, powered by the mighty Milwaukee-Eight 117 engine. While you’re speaking a few comparatively lean 679-pound full-sized cruiser outfitted with a V-twin flexing a muscular 125 ft-lbs of claimed torque delivered a stone’s throw above idle—good occasions are afoot. Pretty fueling provides you entry to a great deal of shove anyplace you need, whereas the additional displacement merely expands an already broad powerband. A strong six-speed gearbox and stout clutch-pull maintain in lockstep with the American V-twin driving expertise, whereas fine-tuned counterbalancing ensures that solely a captivating thrum will get by means of the noise.
- Screamin’ Eagle efficiency elements increase the bragging rights. Crucially, we have to perceive that M8 engines construct on each other. The M8 117 has that further hit all through the rev-range that its 114 and 104 siblings lack, but the character between all three is comparable. What units the 117 aside are Screamin’ Eagle parts, reminiscent of high-performance cams and the forward-facing Heavy Breather consumption that facilitate a better state of tune. The consumption location has one longstanding problem—a swift transfer for the rear brake can result in a pleasant shin whack.
- Cruise management is a $259 choice. Cruise management is a pure customary characteristic on the fairing- and bag-clad Low Rider ST. At this value level, CC is one thing I’d wish to see on the desk, even when the LRS is positioned as a lean-and-mean efficiency cruiser.
- Styling modifications to the instrument and exhaust depart from custom. Tank-mounted devices and 2-into-1 exhausts have adorned the Low Rider courting again to its inception. I used to be by no means a fan as a result of it forces you to stare downward on the gauges like awkward youngsters at their first college dance. Nowadays, the LRS retains your head held excessive to gaze upon the tidy analog/LCD bar-mounted cluster that retains your consideration on the highway. In the meantime, the twin shotgun exhaust leaves traditional Low Rider components on the design studio ground, and the brand new exhaust sounds throaty when you’ve received the engine on the boil.
- The 2022 Harley-Davidson Low Rider S leans into the club-style with a decent and aggressive driving place. Sizable backswept handlebars and four-inch risers prop you up properly, accompanied by a snug new scalloped solo seat, locking your bottom in place whereas the M8 lays down the regulation. The LRS feels compact and able-bodied from the cockpit, a notion pushed dwelling by the mid-controls, permitting your legs to get within the combine whereas cornering. There may be some knee-bend to think about when coping with a low-slung saddle and mid-controls, although my 32-inseam isn’t at odds with it. These blessed with peak may think about a taller seat to scale back these acute angles.
- Because of a brand new longer-stroke shock, there’s extra cushion for pushing within the canyons and past. H-D has heard the calls for extra suspension journey and answered them by growing the shock stroke size, which interprets to a ride-quality-improving 4.4 inches of wheel journey—a full inch greater than final 12 months. Hits are devoured up with larger experience and create a considerably smoother trip. On the reverse finish, the lusty cartridge-damped 43mm inverted fork reprises its function with no alternations. As a result of progressive-rate springs within the fork, the LRS is barely plusher up entrance than within the rear. The suspenders nonetheless assist the Softail body monitor by means of corners at a very good clip, finding out tough stuff alongside the best way, however do desire a measured hand when making use of the binders to assist cope with the initially delicate portion of the fork stroke.
- There are just a few further dealing with perks when elevating a Low Rider S. The LRS has by no means shied away from the curvy bits of highway, and growing the rear trip peak has highlighted that trait. Lifting the rear balances weight distribution extra evenly and elevates the middle of gravity a smidge, supplying you with an edge to tip into the curves. Coupled with a large stance that the prolonged wheelbase generates, this steed holds quick by means of corners and doesn’t flinch when confronted with adversity on the highway. Whipping by means of a canyon and treating footpegs like consumable parts is genuinely satisfying whereas utilizing up that further 1.3 levels of lean angle.
- Michelin Scorcher 31 tires will deal with you proper for miles to return. Anybody in tune with H-D’s lineup will know the Scorcher 31 tires are a typical sight amongst many makes and fashions, no matter their form and measurement. A agency carcass and more durable rubber compound are used to rack up the miles, but there’s nonetheless loads of grip leftover to benefit from the finer factors of the LRS within the twisty sections of the freeway.
- Strong brakes and ABS are a part of the package deal. We’ve by no means had complaints in regards to the four-piston calipers and twin 300mm rotors, able to stopping the LRS in its tracks fairly handily, with a strong really feel on the lever. A single-piston caliper and one other 300mm rotor pull no punches within the again, delivering loads of energy and really feel. ABS is customary and could be a bit stern with its lever-pulsing, do you have to provoke it. Nonetheless, I’d a lot relatively have it and never want it than want it and never have it.
- Enhancing the breed is what the 2022 Harley-Davidson Low Rider S is all about. The oldsters in Milwaukee capitalized on the West Coast performance-cruiser motion when the Low Rider S launched in 2016. Since then, the namesake has acquired refinements at each step, with this 12 months being no exception. Extra suspension journey is what many have requested for from our American V-twin bikes through the years, and the Low Rider S has delivered, gaining some engine and dealing with efficiency, too.
Pictures by Don WilliamsRIDING STYLE
- Helmet: Arai Defiant-X
- Jacket: Spidi Metromover H2Out
- Gloves: Spidi Clubber
- Denims: Spidi J&Dyneema Evo
- Boots: XPD X-Village
2022 Harley-Davidson Low Rider S SpecsENGINE
- Sort: Milwaukee-Eight 117 V-twin
- Displacement: 117ci (1923cc)
- Bore x stroke: 4.075” x 4.5”
- Most energy: 103 horsepower @ 4750 rpm
- Most torque: 125 ft-lbs @ 3500 rpm
- Compression ratio: 10.2:1
- Valvetrain: Pushrod, 4vpc
- Exhaust: 2-into-2
- Cooling: Air and oil
- Lubrication: Dry sump w/ oil cooler
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Clutch: Moist multiplate w/ help perform and hydraulic actuation
- Major drive: Chain
- Closing drive: Belt
- Entrance suspension; journey: Non-adjustable Showa cartridge inverted 43mm fork; 5.1 inches
- Rear suspension; journey; Spring-preload adjustable Showa shock; 4.4 inches
- Wheels: Darkish bronze, Radiate solid aluminum
- Entrance wheel: 19 x 2.5
- Rear wheel: 16 x 5
- Tires: Michelin Scorcher 31
- Entrance tire: 110/90 x 19
- Rear tire: 180/70 x 16
- Entrance brakes: 300mm floating discs w/ 4-piston calipers
- Rear brake: 292mm floating disc w/ 2-piston caliper
- ABS: Commonplace
DIMENSIONS and CAPACITIES
- Wheelbase: 63.6 inches
- Rake: 28 levels
- Path: 5.7 inches
- Seat peak: 28 inches
- Gasoline tank capability: 5 gallons
- Estimated gasoline consumption: 47 mpg
- Curb weight: 679 kilos
- Colours: Vivid Black; Gunship Grey (+$450)
2022 Harley-Davidson Low Rider S Worth: $18,349 MSRP
2022 Harley-Davidson Low Rider S Evaluation Picture Gallery