Two-time and defending MotoAmerica Superbike Champion Jake Gagne was the quickest rider throughout an invitation-only Dunlop check Tuesday morning at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, however extra importantly Gagne was near his 2022 race tempo on the freshly repaved circuit.
Using his Contemporary N Lean Progressive Yamaha YZF-R1, Gagne lapped the two.2-mile course in 1:24.920 in the course of the quick check, which ended at 1:15 p.m. native time.
Gagne’s quickest lap on his technique to successful each Superbike races at Laguna Seca in 2022 was a 1:23.443.
That 1.5-second distinction is promising contemplating the brand new floor is barely 22 days outdated and has solely had 1.5 days of exercise on it previous to Tuesday.
Different riders on the check had been 1.5-2.0 seconds off their quickest race lap instances from 2022.
In accordance with Dunlop Tire Technician Tony Romo, all compounds of Sportmax Slicks that had been tried had been working nicely as soon as the monitor temperature reached 40°C and Dunlop is continuous with its plan to provide solely R7 and R8 tire compounds for the race weekend.
Warhorse HSBK Racing Ducati’s Josh Herrin rode only some untimed laps on a Ducati Panigale V4 streetbike as a result of he’s nursing accidents, together with a damaged proper ankle, he suffered in a crash at Ridge Motorsports Park.
Joe Roberts additionally didn’t file a lap time on the momentary timing and scoring system as he was driving what gave the impression to be a Yamaha YZF-R1 with solely primary monitor preparation.
MotoAmerica is contemplating scheduling further unofficial apply classes for the Superbike and Supersport lessons on the afternoon of Thursday, July 6, to assist additional enhance monitor situations. Tire stickers is not going to be required for these classes, 50 minutes for every class, however plans are nonetheless being finalized and might be introduced by MotoAmerica through a competitor bulletin.
We’ll replace this publish with extra particulars and feedback from riders as they turn out to be accessible.
Unofficial Lap Occasions (all on Dunlop tires):
- Jake Gagne (Yam YZF-R1), Superbike, 1:24.920
- Cameron Petersen (Yam YZF-R1), Superbike, 1:25.594
- Mathew Scholtz (Yam YZF-R1), Superbike, 1:25.804
- Richie Escalante (Suz GSX-R1000R), Superbike, 1:25.859
- Cameron Beaubier (BMW M 1000 RR), Superbike, 1:25.959
- Brandon Paasch (Suz GSX-R1000RR), Superbike, 1:26.418
- Bryce Prince (Yam YZF-R1), Inventory 1000, 1:27.439
- Gabriel Da Silva (Yam YZF-R1), Inventory 1000, 1:29.352
- Josh Herrin (Duc Panigale V4), streetbike, no time recorded
- Joe Roberts (Yam YZF-R1), Inventory 1000, no time recorded